Outback Writer

Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Ancestors


I only discovered three years ago that I had convict ancestors. Two, Olivia Gasgoine and Nathaniel Lucas were transported to Australia on the First Fleet in 1788. When they arrived in Australia they were married. Olivia was guilty of armed robbery. Nathaniel pleaded not guilty to stealing from his landlord.

Given the justice system of the day, I've always believed that 50% of the convicts transported to Australia were innocent, 40% were desperate for food or money and only 10% were hardened and violent criminals.

Olivia was guilty. Nathaniel was, I believe, innocent.

Many people who have read my second novel Eumeralla begged me to write a sequel and I'm working on it now. And it's not just a sequel, but a prequel too.

I hope to have the first draft finished by Christmas.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home